Monday, April 30, 2007

Ritualistic Thinking


Observance without reason, is idolatry


Some Jewish soldiers were knee deep in battle when the Sabbath dawned. They hid in a cave, rather than to fight and break the Sabbath.
The enemy found them, killed every last one and they didn't lift a finger in their own defense.
I have to question this.

As you can see, many gave the complete merit of the Law, rather than the Spirit of the Law. One Rabbi had gone as far as to say that if a whole wall fell on a person, it would be breaking the Sabbath to remove that rubble.



God Don't Like Stupid

If your bull is in the pit, you must rescue it. Were they guilty of worshiping the letter of the Law rather than the Spirit in which it was written?

God Don't Like Stupid

I grew up in the Catholic faith and was taught that all I needed to do was confess my sins to the Priest, do my penance of 1 Our Father and 2 Hail Mary's and I was good to go. This type of teaching, scares me. Of course I am being vague but if I go right back out and do the same sin on the premise that all I have to do is go to confession and I'm good to go, then I am guilty of worshiping the law and not the spirit of true repentance.

God Don't Like Stupid

So, I go for the ceremony of Baptism, even taking my child when it is born, to be baptized. In my simply understanding, I believe that child is right for life and my job is done. I think it is a wonderful thing, a ritual of exclaiming faith but will that get me or even my child, into heaven? Because I went through a ritual and had my child sprinkled with water, will this get my child into heaven?
I don't believe it is that simple, nor do I think that it alone assures a place next to the Father.

Rituals mean nothing if we do not carry them out in the fullness they were created, in the spirit, with the spirit in mind. Even memorizing scripture and being able to quote it at the drop of that hat, is useless, if you do not live that scripture.

Even our prayers mean nothing, if they are done in a ritual sense, just for the sake of doing them and not saying them with conviction. When Christ/Yeshua told us to pray and he gave us a prayer, as in "Our Father", he was not saying, to simply memorize it and spout it out, he was giving example, of a conversation;

Our Father, who art in heaven
hallowed be thy Name,
thy kingdom come,
thy will be done,
on earth as it is in heaven.
Give us this day our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
as we forgive those
who trespass against us.
And lead us not into temptation,
but deliver us from evil.
For thine is the kingdom,
and the power, and the glory,
for ever and ever.
Amen.

Just praying for the sake of praying or just saying those words without feeling or even understanding, is fruitless. We must converse with our Lord. Think about it; If you spoke to a friend, parent, family member in a robotic manner, in memorized and methodical text, they'd probably think something was wrong with you. We must converse with our Lord, in our prayers and talk with conviction. We must stay in prayer, throughout the day and share in the good as well as the bad. If you only called your Dad, when something was wrong, I imagine he'd eventually, not look forward to your call. But if you called to share in your joyful moments and even everyday stuff, he'd be glad, you called.We must incorporate prayer more freely in our everyday lives. By just saying a memorized prayer, at the end of your day, you are not conversing with your heavenly Father.While He may appreciate your effort, I think He'd rather hear from you.
Get the point?

Read this

No comments: