Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Small Comfort


I read this in Prison, it comforted me.

A BEAUTIFUL PRAYER

I asked God to take away my habit.
God said, No.
It is not for me to take away, but for you to give it up.


I asked God to make my handicapped child whole.
God said, No.

His spirit is whole, his body is only temporary


I asked God to grant me patience.
God said, No.
Patience is a byproduct of tribulations;
it isn’t granted, it is learned.


I asked God to give me happiness.
God said, No.
I give you blessings; Happiness is up to you.


I asked God to spare me pain.
God said, No.
Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares
and brings you closer to me.


I asked God to make my spirit grow.
God said, No.
You must grow on your own! ,
but I will prune you to make you fruitful.


I asked God for all things that I might enjoy life.
God said, No.
I will give you life, so that you may enjoy all things.


I ask God to help me LOVE others, as much as He loves me.
God said…Ahhhh, finally you have the idea.


May God Bless You,
“To the world you might be one person, but to one
person you just might be the world”
“Even the word ‘IMPOSSIBLE’ says ‘I M POSSIBLE’ ”

10 comments:

Miranda said...

Beautiful.

Babsbitchin said...

Miranda, thanks, I love this. Hope you are well, my friend!

shane said...

Very cool. Bless you.

Babsbitchin said...

Shane, bless you back three-fold my friend.
Big Hugs!

Michael from israel said...

Thank you for this prayer

~Babsbitchin~ said...

Michael from Israel, Shalom! I am so sorry that I did not get your comment. I was just apologizing to Miranda, the same thing.
This prayer was a real eye opener for me. It made me think. It made me see. It made me understand and it payed a huge role in my spiritual upbringing.It's actually very important to me, that I realize, that God/Yahweh in his infinite wisdom, has a handle on the program. If my prayer has not been answered, it is for a reason. Then, I must redirect my prayer for wisdom to understand.Please come back again, Michael. Shalom!

Michael from Israel said...

I have now seen your comment and thank you very much for answering me. In what you wrote, you added further wisdom and depth to my initial understanding of the prayer. I was struck initially by the prayer placing a lot of responsibility on me- making it clear that many times the development of our wisdom and character in difficult situations is the important thing, more than any specific extenal outcome. You add in your words the perspective of faith and prayer: as you say, the deep understanding that God has a handle on the program, and through prayer we can get the wisdom to grasp that.

Thak you again

Ask Aunt b said...

Michael, how are you? I hope you are well. My parents are headed to Israel, I think in June? They go twice a year. We were all going to move but the Spirit moved in the other direction, I suppose?

I actually can't even explain how important this lil' prayer was an dis to me. Ever had an "Ah hah" moment? I had that with this as I sat in my cell, reading a church bulletin. My heart was receptive, the scales had fallen from my eyes and it was then that I understood. I realized that all those times that I prayed for this and that and became frustrated at my prayers not being answered, that it was simply, it was not what I needed. Often times, like a spoiled brat who throws a tantrum, when God didn't give me what I wanted, I became angry. I look back now and see that while he may not have given me what I wanted, he ALWAYS gave me what I NEEDED. It was around that same time, that I prayed for wisdom and understanding, compassion and empathy. He gave me exactly what I needed and I was able to see my whole life unfold in front of me. I saw that He had always been there, through the fire and he was holding my hand. He never let me down and I am only fortunate that He did not give me all that I prayed for.
God Bless you Michael (The Angel)

~Babsbitchin~ said...

Michael, the prior comment, to you, is from me.

Michael said...

I thank you again. I am moved by the love, humility, openeness and generosity of soul your words express. Sometimes I can understand the experience of faith you describe. but also tend still to forget and fall back. Your words in your blog strengthen me and make a difference.
God bless you and the good way you have chosen. I find it usually very difficult and artificial to use this simple blessing, God bless you, beceause I have been raised and spent and still am spending my adult life in a very secular society and neighbourhood. But here, to you, it feels natural and right. so I thank you for this as well.